Cannabis Banking: What C-Suites and Boards Need to Know for 2022
Wednesday, October 20, 2021 1 PM EST | 90 Minutes
According to a recent survey from Abrigo, approximately one third of community financial institutions report their institution is currently banking cannabis businesses or are considering doing so in the future. For senior executives and board members at institutions in states with legal medical or adult-use cannabis programs, it is imperative to understand this high-risk, high-reward market, whether the institution plans on serving these businesses or not. With programs in 37 states and growing, it’s nearly impossible to avoid the industry and its financial impact.
To arm senior leaders of financial institutions with the insights they need to make informed decisions about this potential line of business as they go into strategic planning, Green Check Verified and Nelson Mullins are teaming up to present, “Cannabis Banking: What C-Suites and Boards Need to Know for 2022.”
In this ninety minute presentation, banking, compliance and legal experts will share expertise around cannabis banking based on experience working with financial institutions who are actively and successfully serving the cannabis industry. This session is geared specifically for executive and board level management who are considering this vibrant and growing market.
Session 1: Strategic Planning for 2022
- Key factors you should consider when discussing this topic in a board meeting, and anticipating the questions that may be asked
- The market opportunity for 2022 and beyond
- Uncovering the true value of a cannabis line of business beyond deposits and fee income
- Why more institutions are lending to cannabis businesses and how they are doing it responsibly
Session 2: Legal and Regulatory Update (presented by Nelson Mullins)
- The legal and regulatory outlook for 2022
- What the passage of the SAFE Banking Act would really mean for the industry, and how do those chances increase or decrease with the CAOA proposal
- How institutions are mitigating reputational and compliance risks when banking these businesses
- Understanding legal pitfalls and how to protect your institution
Session 3: Case Study
In this session, we share a case study of a financial institution that has incorporated a cannabis banking line of business into their overall strategic plan starting in 2022. Beginning with building a business case, we’ll then walk you through how this institution presented to the Board, engaged a technology partner and refined a go-to-market plan that aligns with their strategic goals.
- Copies of all presentation materials
- 90-day access to a recording of the sessions
- Members of the C-Suite
- Board members
- Growth-focused senior executives
- Business development teams
- Lending officers
- Marketing and communications teams
Co-Founder, Dir. of Program Development
Green Check Verified
Paul is a co-founder of Green Check Verified, where he is the Director of Program Development. Paul oversees the development and management of compliance programs for Green Check Verified’s clients, with a focus on state-level compliance as well as compliance around federal guidance.
Director, Banking Compliance
Green Check Verified
Stacy Litke is a cannabis banking expert at Green Check Verified, who believes every cannabis business deserves the ability to bank confidently and every community bank deserves a chance to grow with that industry. Stacy has seen the financial services industry from multiple angles having experience in Retail, Lending, Operations and Technology, from the seats of Community Banker, FinTech Company and Consultant. Prior to joining Green Check, Stacy was SVP of Operations for a Massachusetts based, $900 million community bank.