September Cannabis Banking Bootcamp
Tuesday, September 21, 2021 1PM EST | 3 Hours
Green Check’s Cannabis Banking Bootcamp is a two and a half hour intensive course, followed by a half hour optional special topics session, that prepares banking professionals to engage with the cannabis industry. Taught by Green Check’s subject matter experts, regulatory professionals that have worked with dozens of banks and credit unions to develop efficient and profitable cannabis programs, you will gain practical insight into the realities of banking the industry.
Session 1: The Fundamentals of Cannabis Banking (60 minutes)
- Essential terminology: cannabis/marijuana/hemp, THC/CBD
- The cannabis market opportunity in the US
- Defining cannabis businesses and identifying their needs
- Federal and state cannabis law, guidance, and regulations
- FinCEN’s 2014 marijuana banking guidance: what you need to know
- Locating and onboarding cannabis businesses
- Ongoing monitoring and working with your examiner
Session 2: Quantifying the Risks and Rewards (75 minutes)
We’ll review a case study, based on a financial institution that’s currently banking cannabis, and use that information to conduct both a financial modeling and risk assessment exercise. From the financial modeling exercise you will learn to identify the products and services you can (and should) offer to cannabis businesses beyond simply accepting deposits and the costs associated with running a program. The risk assessment exercise will not only help you provide a point-in-time assessment of your readiness to bank the industry but also highlight the operational decisions that must be made when working with cannabis-related funds.
Optional: Current Events and Special topics (30 minutes)
- Copies of all presentation materials
- A cannabis banking policy template
- A copy of the sample financial model developed during the session
- A copy of the sample risk assessment questions
- 90-day access to a recording of both sessions
- Board members
- Compliance and risk officers
- Branch operations managers
- Business development teams
- Lending officers
- Marketing and communications teams
Director, Banking Compliance
Green Check Verified
Stacy Litke is a cannabis banking expert at Green Check Verified, who believes every cannabis business deserves the ability to bank confidently and every community bank deserves a chance to grow with that industry. Stacy has seen the financial services industry from multiple angles having experience in Retail, Lending, Operations and Technology, from the seats of Community Banker, FinTech Company and Consultant. Prior to joining Green Check, Stacy was SVP of Operations for a Massachusetts based, $900 million community bank.
Co-Founder, Dir. of Program Development
Green Check Verified
Paul is a co-founder of Green Check Verified, where he is the Director of Program Development. Paul oversees the development and management of compliance programs for Green Check Verified’s clients, with a focus on state-level compliance as well as compliance around federal guidance.